My Story

My name is Kristin AmRhein and I am a Speech-Language Pathologist living in New York City. I currently work in a pediatric outpatient setting providing speech, language, and feeding services to children birth to 21 years old.

I graduated from the University of Florida in 2011 where I earned my Bachelor’s in Communication Sciences and Disorders. Rather than jumping straight into a Master’s program, I decided to embark on a 2-year journey around the world that would lead me to discover my full potential and capabilities as a professional in the field of speech-language pathology.

Over the course of these two years abroad, I worked and lived in countries including Italy, England, France, Taiwan, and China. Through these experiences, I realized the increasing need for Speech-Language Pathologists around the world. This led to my vision of raising awareness of the field through collaboration with local healthcare professionals and families in an effort to increase therapy services in countries where SLP is underdeveloped.

I then attended City, University of London where I obtained my Master’s in Speech and Language Therapy. Following the end of the academic program, I participated in City’s Cambodia project with 5 university colleagues where we provided services in different settings throughout Phnom Penh, Cambodia. To read more about this experience, check out the weekly blog posts my placement partner and I wrote about working in hospitals with Cleft Lip and Palate clients.

Professionally, I strive to specialize in pediatric feeding and swallowing disorders. I aim to provide intervention within this area of expertise to developing countries around the world and to further understand the field on an international level by incorporating the principles of all professional bodies which recognize the importance of global collaboration.

Thank you for reading and joining me on this journey to develop international Speech-Language Pathology.

Kristin AmRhein, M.S. CCC-SLP

MSc Speech and Language Therapy
City, University of London
London, England


26 thoughts on “My Story

  1. Hi! I just found your blog and find it amazing! I am currently a SLPA working in the field and want to pursue my masters soon. I was wondering if you ever plan on moving back to the states? If so, what would you have to do in order for your degree to be valid in the states? I’m really interested in studying abroad but wondering when I move back what are the steps to be able to work here as a SLP?


    • Hi Tatiana,

      Thank you for reading, I am glad you found the blog useful! Yes, I plan to move back to the States once I have received my Master’s degree so most likely will move back at the end of 2015 or start of 2016.

      The process to transfer your degree is quite straight forward thanks to the Mutual Recognition Agreement. Basically, as long as you get your full Master’s, take the PRAXIS, and have your transcript translated from the foreign grading system to the USA GPA you are good to go. You will of course have to complete your CFY in the States (or a similar training year in the country you received your degree in) and get your licensure for the particular State you wish to work in. But it should hopefully not be too scary.

      I will keep you updated on the process as I go through it myself. I can only write so much detail in a comment so please email me with any questions and I will be happy to help and share with you my experience : )

      For more info on the Mutual Recognition Agreement and requirements to transfer your degree, visit this page:

      Thanks for reading!

  2. Do you know if you actually have to complete your CFY in the States? Or is it possible to do it in one of the recognized countries, even if your degree is from the US? I would think if the reciprocity is there and you have a certified supervisor, you could do it outside of the States. I’m not sure, though, and wondered if you had any further information on this. Thanks.

    • Hi Jessica! My understanding is that you can complete your CFY-equivalent year in the foreign country you studied in and have your competencies signed off by a registered supervisor of that country. The only thing is that some countries like Australia do not have CFY-like years as they get their competencies signed off while they are students. England on the other hand has a Newly Qualified Professional (NQP) year in which they must have competencies signed off by supervisors in their first year of training. This, I believe, would be equivalent to a CFY year. As I have not personally done this myself, I cannot say for sure, this is what I am to understand. I would contact ASHA directly to ask about completing the CFY year elsewhere if your Masters degree is from the States as I am not positive about this situation seeing as I got my Master’s in the UK. Does this help? Email me directly with anymore questions

  3. I am in the same boat as you and am currently studying Communication Disorders and Sciences at the University of Oregon and want to get my Masters degree in the UK or Ireland before coming back and getting certified here. How did you find out that the program in London would transfer over equally in America before you enrolled? That has been my biggest struggle in finding out if this is something that I can do. Your blog is great!

  4. Hello!
    I am a Speech Pathologist (Master’s Degree in Speech Pathology and CCCslp) who has been working for 30 years in a School setting. I would like to get some information on working overseas for awhile. I will retire soon and would like to get some information on how to start.
    I hope you can help me!

  5. Thank you for responding!
    I would be open to various locations, basically anywhere that my current certification would be accepted.
    Perhaps the British Isles, Italy, Spain, or somewhere in the European Union.

    • Hi! Do you by chance have an EU or UK passport? That would be the easiest way to get a job as an SLP in any of those countries. However, self-promotion is a good way to go in Italy and Spain as well. If you end up moving out there for a non-SLP related job (like English teacher at a school or something similar) you are bound to create your own caseload as an SLP. For the UK, they do sponsor work visas but they are hard to get. You can have a look at for jobs in England. I hope that helps a bit!

  6. Hi! I am pursuing my bachelors degree in communications science and disorders and will be graduating from FSU this spring (Go Noles!). I am in a bind because I don’t know if I want to go straight into grad school or if I should take a year off. What exactly did you do during your 2 years abroad and how did you come to that decision? Thanks!

    • Hi Alexis, apologies for the delay in responding. I absolutely advocate for taking some time off between Bachelor’s and Master’s because once you get that MS degree you will feel obligated to start your career and not as keen to travel for fun. During my 2 years abroad I basically found jobs in different countries every 4-5 months. If you would like to read more about my journey during that time, check out my other blog which summarizes my work/travel experience and offers advice around the types of jobs abroad! It is a bit outdated so apologies if some links don’t work– Any other questions, don’t hesitate to email

  7. Hello! wonderful blog, very usefull!
    I’m an italian SLP, i m interesting about course and working internationally. My problem is english! I don’t know very well English. I would like to work with pediatric dysphagia and feeding problem. I know that to be an Australian SLP i need OET (occupational English test) and it’s difficult for me.. and i have to send a lot of documents.
    Maybe in UK it’s easier …
    You are studiing in London? Are there some course or job about pediatric dysphagia? i would like to study nenonatal dysphagia, i Love it!.. do you know some italian SLP now working in UK?

    • Hi Rachel– No I am no longer working abroad. I am now based in NYC working in Early Intervention. Whereabouts would you like to work? Most jobs I know of are with children but there are some adult opportunities as well. If interested in working in Asia or UAE, I may have some links I can send you for job opportunities in those areas πŸ™‚ let me know!

  8. Hi Kristin,
    This is a bit of a broad question, but is there a overt need for therapists from the U.S. in Europe? What would be the advantages of a U.S. citizen working as a SLP in Europe? These might have been answered earlier but did not notice during my cursory review. Thanks!

    • Hi there– yes and no. From my experience, I have found that some countries in Europe really value SLP work like in France and Germany but other countries are lacking such as Italy and much of Eastern Europe. So for countries where SLP is not as well recognized, our contribution would be very valuable in my opinion. Of course you always have to consider the cultural and linguistic norms of the country you want to work in!

  9. Hello, I have just stumbled upon this blog and am curious if you ever went back to the US and how the process was for you when you got back. I am currently finishing my masters degree up in Edinburgh and planning on moving back soon. Any advice/ tips would be extremely useful! Thanks πŸ™‚

  10. Hi Kristin,

    I am currently pursuing a bachelor’s degree in Psychology and am hoping to do my masters in speech therapy at City University London. I speak with an American accent, and I was wondering if that would be a problem when interacting with English clients in clinical placements?

    • Hi Stephanie! For me I had no issue working with the English accent–the main difference in our accents is our vowel usage..consonant sounds are all the same. So since speech therapy targeting vowels is much less common, there is no issue. Terminology is the trickeiest thing to get your head around (e.g.– saying trousers rather than pants because in England pants means underwear haha) but you quickly get the hang of it! Let me know if I can answer anymore questions!

  11. Hi Kristin,

    I am currently pursuing a bachelor’s degree in Psychology and am hoping to do my masters in speech therapy at City University London. I speak with an American accent, and I was wondering if that would be a problem when interacting with English clients during the clinical placements?

  12. Hi there! I’m a current grad student looking to do my CFY year abroad. Where can I start my search??

    Thanks for any help!

    • Hi Hillary! Where are you obtaining your Master’s? If you’re an overseas student, you may be able to complete your CFY overseas more easily but otherwise, unfortunately it is difficult as you need to be supervised by an ASHA certified clinician in order to apply for your CCC’s. I think your best bet would be to complete your CFY in the States and once you’re licensed you may have more opportunities to find work abroad. If interested in doing a summer internship/volunteer experience of sorts prior to starting your CFY, I may be able to help you there! I think there are job opportunities to be a US-based travel therapist during your CFY (though these positions are limited for CFs too)–if that would be of interest to you, do some research around those job prospects. Sorry I can’t be of more help! Let me know if I can answer anymore questions for you. Best of luck! -Kristin

  13. Hi Kristin

    I immigrated to the USA some years back but want to do my Masters in Speech Therapy in London (that’s how I came across your site). I have been concerned about applying as I am not sure if I can come back to USA (I have no option but to return as I have family here). I was just wondering if you are back in the USA and how did you find the process?

    ASHA has not been able to provide me with much information about whether I can easily return so I have been worried about making the move to UK. Thank you.

Leave a Reply